8.26.2008

Go Green!

Have you Gone Green?
No, I am not referring to a football team.

Go Green are the latest buzz words used to describe being environmentally conscience. Corporations are going green as are individuals.

I decided about six months ago that I was going to what I could to help our environment. It has not been as difficult or time consuming as you may think. I simply started a routine that required me to remember in the beginning, but now it is second nature. I feel better knowing that I am doing what I can to help our planet and those who will come long after I m gone.

Here is what I do. First, I figured since I am already paying for a recycle bin (without a choice) with my trash service, I might as well use it! If you live in a house (lease, rent or own) and that house is in any major metropolitan city or suburb, then you too are paying for a recycle bin and for that bin to be emptied whether you put it at the curb on trash day or not. These bins do limit what you can recycle, so make it easy on yourself. Papers: copy/printer type paper, newspapers, paperback books and magazines. Cardboard: Cereal boxes (just remove the plastic bag inside), brownie & pasta type boxes (remove plastic bag inside), moving/ shipping boxes. Beer bottles, water bottles, soda cans (just rinse with water first). That is all I recycle. I don't put anything in the bin that has food residue as it can attract ants and wasps. It really is that easy. You can then have the bin emptied every week or wait until it is about half full - Your choice at no extra cost!

Every time I put something in the bin, I feel great about doing my part.

Go Green extends to other areas as well, to include but not limited to conserving electricity, reducing pollution and planting more trees and bushes.

You too could easily do your part without inconveniencing yourself at all. Simply think of one thing you could do to help then do it. The key is to not make it a one time event, rather do it on a regular basis for years. You can later add a second and a third thing if you want.

To Quote John Mellencamp, "It's what you DO and not what you say. If you're not part of the future then get out of the way."

I believe you too will have a great feeling when you help our planet and the future people who will inhabit it.

So, are you going to GO GREEN?

~Dawn





No comments: