7.05.2008

To Text or Not to Text...

...That is the question and topic for today's blog.

So I realize I often act older then my actual age indicates and I know my generation is of the blackberry and texting persuasion, but is texting really the future or just a passing fad that stayed at the party too long?

Doctors are actually diagnosing thumb illnesses as a result of repetitive and excessive use of ones thumbs for texting!! Tell me 10 years or even 5 years ago you would have believed such a thing could have been possible?

Employees now text their managers to say they will be out ill or late to work. Is this appropriate and professional? I suppose it depends on the manager and company at which one works.

You may have guessed, I don't text. Okay, I confess to actually texting a few times a year in special circumstances. For instance my brother says he can't talk on the phone, but he can respond to text messages as where he is at that time, phones in general are contraband so he does not want to bring attention to himself. For exception to this situation, I don't text.

You are probably thinking, Why Not? Basically it is an efficiency thing. In every aspect of my life, every moment of the day, my brain automatically scans for the most efficient way from point A to point B. You think I am kidding? Example, I was ironing in my living room and when finished I quickly evaluated the most efficient way to put away the iron, ironing board, starch and the clothes I just ironed. That includes how to carry the items going to the same location in ONE trip so to minimize time, steps and effort. Crazy sounding I know. How I got this way, I am not sure really. I suppose I inadvertently trained my brain over the past 32 years to do just that, so now I don't try to think this way, I just do.

Back to texting....because my brain works this way, I have determined it is just as fast if not faster to speak to someone on the phone or leave them a voice mail message then to text them.
As a result, I don't text and so far I have gotten along just fine without it.

If this is the future and not just a passing fad, I will adapt and begin texting more as I do to all things that must change. I don't mind, but for now....If you want to reach me, dial my number and speak to me!

-Dawn

No comments: